Ask any Mallu (cute form of Keralite) ,what's their fave breakfast item and they will scream @ the top of their lungs, "Puttum Kadala chetta or chettathiii" :O)).
Likewise ask my hubby (though he is more Hyderabadi than a Mallu )what's his all time fave breakfast,even lunch or dinner is ,he'll scream @ the top of every organ in his body :P ,"Puttum kadalem anneyyy" but then there is a catch ! He doesn't like the well known traditional consort of Puttu,black chickpea or chana he loves the white version instead,the kabuli chana/garbanzo curry .So,I hardly make the black chickpea curry and usually make the white one,in a very simple yet Kerala way.This goes undoubtedly well with the puttu ,also with Appam,bhatura,poori,roti,naan ,rice etc as well.
So,my kadala curry is a spicy curry made with Garbanzo chickpeas ,Kerala spices and coconut milk exclusively.
This is how I make nadan Kadla curry with black/brown chickpeas
Here is how I make vella Kadala curry :
Vella Kadala curry
Vella Kadala/Kabuli chana/Garbanzo chickpeas - 1 cup
Onion ,Big (sliced lengthwise) - 1 no.
Green chillies,(sliced into two lengthwise) - 2-3 nos.
Tomato ,medium,chopped - 1 no.
Ginger-garlic paste- 1-2 teaspoon
Kerala Garam Masala/Meat Masala - 1/2-1 teaspoon
Chilly powder - 2-3 teaspoons
Coriander powder - 1 tablespoon
Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Fennel powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Coconut milk - 1/4-1/2 cup(optional)
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Dry red chilly - 1 -2 nos.(optional)
Curry leaves - a few
Coconut oil - 1 tablespoon
Water as needed
Watch the video below with English subtitles to learn (in 4 min)along with me.It's simple !
- Soak the chickpeas overnight/ 8 hours approx .
- After that,wash them properly and pressure cook the chickpeas,turmeric powder and about 2 1/2 cups of water (covering the chickpeas) for 2-3 whistles (High flame to medium) or until cooked.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds,dry chilly,few curry leaves.
- Sprinkle little salt (to brown the onion faster),add the sliced onions,green chillies and saute until the onions are transparent.
- Saute ginger-garlic paste into it until their raw smell disappears.
- Add tomato and saute until they get soft and mushy .
- Add garam masala/meat masala ,coriander powder,chilli powder,fennel powder and saute for a few minutes until the oil oozes out.
- Add the cooked chickpeas into it.Saute for few minutes.Add enough water.
- Boil it,once it reaches the boiling point,let it simmer for 5-10 minutes on low flame.
- Add coconut milk and remaining curry leaves.
- Simmer for a minute and put off the stove.
- Yummy spicy kadala curry is ready.
- Add more coconut milk to make it more flavorful ,less spicy and for more gravy as it thickens up gradually or little water would do.
- Kerala meat masala is highly recommended .The taste may vary according to the garam masala used.Use coconut oil for authentic Kerala taste.