Bhagavad-gita.org - The Vedas have stated that the milk of a cow is equivalent to ambrosial nectar and that ghee derived from cows milk is the best of all libations poured onto the sacred fires of Brahmins.The word ghee is derived from the Sanskrit language: घृत (ghṛta meaning'sprinkled').
When my favorite butter got clarified by its nature,qualities,properties annd benefits ,it became Ghee ,a clarified butter . (Ironically speaking !)
If butter is considered sacred and beneficial ,ghee is considered a tad more special and spiritual - pure flowing golden elixir since ancient days especially in India and that's why we (Hindus) worship cow .
|Picture credit :http://www.harekrsna.de/kamadhenu.htm|
Our Holy Cow (no pun intended!) and Ghee :
Indians, especially Hindus ,consider cows just like mother nature ; Simply natural and life promoting.In every cow,we believe is a descendant of the holy God-ly cow,Kamadhenu/Surabhi ,Cow of God ,especially supreme Hindu God,Lord Shri Krishna's and why shouldn't we even if it didn't have any importance in our ancient scriptures,stories/puranas .
It is pure common sense ; I mean look at this humble selfless cow (unconditional love),it provides us milk which as a matter of fact , belongs to its calf ,which we may further culture it into a yogurt and or homemade Indian cheese,paneer or churn it into a butter or clarify it into ghee and then use any of these dairy products or by-products into any recipe and it becomes tad more special ,taste wise and health wise .
|Ghee is known as "Neyy/neyi" in Malayalam -Language of Kerala|
Not only that,even cow urine is considered to possess pious and medicinal properties and even cow dung is used for religious ceremonies, like in South India,before preparing a home for some special puja/worship/festival/religious ceremony by Hindu priest/pujari,the house premises where puja will be conducted are usually smeared with cow dung and washed off with water,that is considered to spiritually/religiously purify that area like remove any negativity from that place and make it ready to fill in with positivity .
In rural areas,where people don't have gas stove,they use cow dung/gobar ,sundried like a pancake as a fuel to burn or cook food in place of woods.
|Picture credit :http://www.blog.gomataseva.org/cows-in-vedic-tradition/|
|An old Indian stamp via Pinterest|
|Pic credit - http://www.fullsirclefarms.com/omaha-steaks/|
Today ,these innocent animals-cows are fed non-organic fodders or injected with dangerous hormones to produce high quantity of milk (loaded with hormones harmful to human consumption) and or meat,likewise,butters ,yogurts,ghees are all adulterated for commercial purpose. 😔😡
|Pic credit - http://indianexpress.com/article/cities/delhi/delhi-milk-ncr-safety-standards-2880323/|
Neither there are fresh milk widely available today ,even if they do,hardly anyone wants to or finds time to make fresh homemade yogurts,butter,ghee etc like olden days as even people want to live an easy -ready made,pre-prepared life ,a materialistic life,the result - stressful,unhealthy life where money can solve any problems but mostly in vain.I wonder where are we heading to ?😒
Ayurveda and Ghee
According to Ayurveda,the ancient purely natural healthcare system of India,a science of life ,which relies on balance of mind,body and spirit ,Ghee is considered the natural miracle elixir . Why ?
Look at the benefits of ghee :
- Ghee is a great energy booster and improves overall metabolism
- Ghee promotes ojas and tejas - rejuvenates the body inside out by lubricating the connective tissues,digestion,detoxification,promotes the essential vitamins and minerals for a healthy body.
- Ghee improves immune system and has anti-oxidant properties ,protects body from deadly diseases like Cancer,Cholesterol,controls thyroid issues,various allergies etc.
- Ghee is lactose and gluten friendly.
- Ghee is excellent for growing kids ,healthy pregnant women and recovering patients the most.
- Ghee improves memory,intelligence and overall brain functions.
- Ghee has a high smoking point than butter and is therefore excellent for cooking without burning or splattering or losing it's vital properties on high heat and producing any dangerous free radicals thereby.
- Ghee has an anti-inflammatory property and is easier to digest than butter.
- Ghee even helps in weight loss ,though moderation is the key .
- Ghee is great for dry skin,hair growth ,eyes,dark lips and under eyes dark circles or an overall natural moisturizing age-defying skin enhancing home remedy.
- Ghee is also an excellent natural anti-septic remedy ,used since olden days to treat wounds,burns,scars etc.
- Ghee has a longer shelf life and doesn't spoil easily even when kept in room temperature.
In India,ghee is used in cooking and for religious purpose.Ghee is exclusively used for making sweets,savory and day to day cooking tad more special all over India.Ghee can make any recipes especially Indian, extraordinary ,at the same time,it is not that affordable for everyone and too much of ghee can be harmful in the long run.That's why not every household would be willing to cook using ghee everyday .
Types of Ghee :
According to Ayurveda, there are almost eight kinds of ghee and the best ghee-s are those made up of human breast milk and cow (Purely grass fed or organic cattle foods feds) ~ Wiki.
Other popular ghee is made from Buffalo milk which is thicker in consistency and has even slightly more vitamins and minerals than cow's milk but cow's milk is easily digestible especially for babies or patients and soothing for proper digestion yet nourishment .
There is also camel milk and goat milk with amazing health benefits .
Now there is another dangerous ghee,also popularly used in North India,vanaspati ghee ,vanaspati means vegetable ,but is actually a hydrogenated solidified vegetable oil (usually palm oil) that looks like ghee and is a cheaper substitute to ghee and is also therefore widely used in Indian restaurants and health wise it is very high in trans fat making it very harmful for creating deadly health conditions."Dalda" is one of the most popular vanaspati ghee used in India.
Ghee is composed of 62% of saturated fat about 8mg of cholesterol per teaspoon.1 Tbsp ghee = 112 calories and no sugar,sodium,fiber or carbs.
More or less Ghee alike-s outside India:
- Egypt -Samna Baladi meade especially with Buffalo milk .
- Ethipoia - niter kibbeh
- Eritrea - Tesmi
- North Africa-Smen
- North Eastern Brazil - Manteiga-de-garrafa (butter-in-a-bottle) or Manteiga-da-terra (butter of the land)
- Europe- Butterschmalz
- Japan - Ghee is mentioned in Nirvaan sutra to make Daigo.
- Ghee is also used in Srilanka,Pakistan etc
How much ghee is recommended as a part of a healthy diet?
3-4 Teaspoons or less per day .People with pre-existing bad cholesterol,obesity or heart diseases should consume ghee carefully.
How is ghee made with butter?
Ghee is made by melting butter on low flame until all water evaporates and milk solids deposits at the bottom and the pure fat is extracted and it turns golden clear liquid a.k.a Ghee /clarified butter .
Ingredients for making butter are just butter (preferably unsalted) ,LOTS of patience and a non-stick saucepan (as it is easy to clean it up)
Preparation of ghee at home using butter - Pls watch my video that will demo step by step how to make homemade ghee or clarified butter at home using my homemade butter :
- Ghee should be stored in an airtight container and it is not must to store it in refrigerator but it is good to ,the ghee can be kept outside the refrigerator as well.Just make sure that ,it remains moisture free like use only dry spoons to scoop out ghee or it will encourage bacterial growth and spoil the ghee.This homemade ghee remains fresh for 6 months approx and if stored in the freezer can remain fresh for a year.
- You can add spices to flavor the butter .
- The milk solids left after making butter can be eaten by itself or add little sugar or spice and eat it.It tastes good but some may not like it.
- I got approx 200 gm of butter here.
- I am still trying to find the best organic butter or milk I can trust for making shudh ghee or desi ghee and this is to show how I make ghee at home with butter mainly.
Namo Brahmanya-devaya go-brahmana-hitaya ca jagad-dhitaya krsnaya govindaya namo namah ~ Vishnu Purana 1.19.65
Meaning : “I offer repeated obeisances unto Lord Krishna, who is the protector and well-wisher of the cows and the Brahmanas. He is also the protector of the entire society. Unto that Lord, who is always satisfying the senses of the cows, I offer my obeisances again and again.” (via gomataseva.org)
In this kali yuga,may we always remind ourselves to respect everyone ,everything whether it is a humble cow,any other living things,women,any person from different religion,caste,creed,color,any harmless religious practice etc - regardless ,that purifies our soul day by day..May we protect them ,respect them ,nurture them and value them always...
P.S.:Dear western society ,when we say "HOLY COW!",we (Hindus) mean it (Pun intended yet no pun intended) 😉😊👏
Hare Govinda,Hare Gopala...